Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Congratulations to Kate DiCamillo, the new Ambassador for Young People's Literature!



The February issue of "School Library Journal" has an interview with Kate DiCamillo, who has been recently named to this position, following in the footsteps of Jon Scieszka, Katherine Paterson, and Walter Dean Myers.

I loved her response to the question,  "Any advice for teachers or parents to create that environment, the same one that you were in, that made you a reader?"

Kate: "Well, I have a couple of things just based on how I was raised.  Books were everywhere.  And sometimes it's not financially viable, but you can still get to the library.  And then the other thing is my mother read for her own pleasure. And reading was never something that she said I had to do.  I worry when people insist that kids have to do it.  I would want it to be this great gift that you give yourself and not something that is a duty."

No comments:

Post a Comment